- Onion-sliced- 1 cup
- Garlic-finely chopped- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- Few
- Dry red chilies- 3 to 4 nos( according to taste)
- Asafoetida- 1 pinch
- Tamarind- 2 pinch( or to taste)
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- as required
- Heat oil in a pan ,add onion,garlic ,curry leaves and salt.Saute until onion turns golden brown.
- Now add dry red chilies and asafoetida. Saute for few more minutes.
- Add tamarind and more salt if required.Allow this to cool slightly.
- Grind this to form a smooth paste.
- Serve with dosa or idli.
- You can use shallots ,instead of onion ,if desired.